Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Happy New Year!

As my last weekend in California, and the first weekend of 2017, I got back in my car and headed back over to the coast.  Obviously stopping for the essentials first.  Coffee, Breakfast, and water.
The Essentials

Instead of going North like I did last week, I headed south.  Starting out through the Redwoods through Highway 9, and did a short hike on the Sempervirens trail.  The Skyline to the Sea.  The first thing you see when you start the trail is a natural flower covered doorway.  I didn't get too far down the trail because I woke up too late to do the full hike, but it was a great way to start the day - crisp air, overlooking more Redwoods than I've ever seen in my life.

Sempervirens



Next, I headed out of the woods and straight to the ocean, making my way towards Santa Cruz Boardwalk.  I made it at the absolute best time!  A sand artist had just finished scrawling in the sand.  He stepped back, and a seagull swooped in to land on his clock.  I caught this photo -and if you really look at it, there are many reasons why it's by far my favorite moment.  The lovers hand in hand, the child looking into the water, the paddle boarder braving the cold and wind - and the sailboat on the horizon.  It was perfect.

Santa Cruz Boardwalk - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Santa Cruz Boardwalk

After buying a couple of gifts for family, I walked back to my car (actually one of the glints of light in the picture above across the bay), and headed down Ocean Rd towards Lighthouse Point Park.  I wish I could have stayed longer, but after driving to find a place to park took up all the time I had, I just quick pulled up to the lighthouse, left my car running, and snapped a photo.  I just couldn't miss it in the light.

Lighthouse Point Park

Back onto Highway 1, I started to head north, up the coast towards Shark Fin Bay.  All along the way there were tons of people pulled off at various beaches and coves and bays.... and I thought for sure that Shark Fin would be the same way. Somehow, it was left mostly unattended. I guess it's the fact it's an unmarked cove - but the fact it's as beautiful as it is made me think it might be more touristy than it was.  I'm glad I found it and was mostly alone. 
The path to the cove crosses railroad tracks, and then you have to crawl under a pipe to start down a steep and uneven rocky path to get to the beach.  With my crappy knees, I was a bit worried. Especially because there were a few groups of people coming up as I was going down, who were loudly complaining about how hard it was going up the path.  Knowing I would likely struggle going back up, I put it out of my head and maneuvered my way down anyway.
There were 2 women chatting on a blanket against the cliff to get out of the wind and cold.  As I walked by them, they asked me to take a picture to commemorate the moment.. and that's when I found out it was actually 4 people... 2 couples.  The guys both popped their heads out of their sleeping bags.  I started laughing.  The reason they wanted to commemorate the moment is because the guys couldn't handle the cold and wind, and the girls were just chatting with glasses of wine.  Fun group.
I wanted to walk into the cave off to the right of the cove, but there was water consistently streaming out of it, and a storm blowing in - and I have a slight fear of caves... so I didn't go in.  I'll get over that fear eventually - hell, I already walked into a mine earlier on this trip in Death Valley!  I was proud of myself. HA!
Tracks at the entrance of the path to the beach

Shark Fin Cove Cave

Shark Fin Cove from the top of the trail

Washed out archway

Next stop was Ano Nuevo Point.  I knew I wanted to reach this park specifically at sunset - Ano Nuevo=New Year, and I made it with only moments to spare.  The entire hike along the path was just perfectly picturesque.  I couldn't have asked for a better way to end the first day of the New Year.
Again, there was absolutely no one at the park.  I passed two people who were heading out as I was heading in - but the rest of the hike was in solitude.  I highly recommend the hike for anyone wanting a nice flat walk out to the ocean to see the sea lions.  There were hundreds!!  By the time I neared the cliffs, you could hear them making a ruckus.  And I was completely alone to observe them.
Between the crashing waves and Elephant Sea Lion roaring - nothing else was there to distract me.  I just threw my head back and laughed at the moment.  It was so perfect. So loudly quiet.  A moment I've never had...not like that, and not that perfect.  
I watched the sun set on the first day of the year, in a moment of solitude where I finally felt more alive than I ever have.  Throwing my arms in the air, I whooped out a laugh - stopped in silence.... leaked water from my eyes for finding the exact moment I had been craving and needing.... and smiled through the tears.  Finding these moments are somewhat emotional for me, I've found.
Felt like Dorothy Gale on the yellow brick road





At this point, I knew I had just enough light left to hit one more destination. Another lighthouse.... right as dusk was giving up it's last light.
Then back to civilization.
This trip to California has been a ride.  I started out camping in Death Valley, then driving down around Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Menlo Park, and Mountain View ... house hopping to dog sit for complete strangers on behalf of a friend.  I slept in 8 different beds over the course of 4 weeks... I went on vacation and made money - all while site seeing and playing with dogs... AND still working my regular job.  I feel like the last month has been the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.  But I have to go home soon.  Back to 2 feet of snow, and smog so thick you can taste it.... but I'm still excited.  It's still home.  And I miss my cat.  A lot.

Always,
Megan



Map My Trip:

No comments:

Post a Comment