Search This Blog

Friday, March 3, 2017

Goblin Valley

Sometimes you just get a bee up your ass and you have to do something.  That's what this trip was.  It was an ultimately failed adventure, but oh well.

I've decided I enjoy photography a lot, and would like to get into astrophotography.  After checking the dark map, I learned that Goblin Valley is the closest location to where I live and happens to be one of the darkest skies in the country.  The current camera I have has the potential to take the pictures I want, but I'm not positive they will actually look any good.  Since I'll be going to Iceland and Europe here soon, along with a lot of other planned overnight trips in dark places - I wanted to test my camera.  
I checked the weather for Goblin Valley, and it was clear skies until 3am.  It was already 2pm and it's a near 4hr drive, so I quick grabbed everything I needed and jumped in my car.  Once I got there, I made it in time for sunset and found the location I wanted to shoot the sky from.  Then, I waited.  And by 8pm, the clouds had come in.  So much for clear skies.  I turned around and headed back.  
I'll try to get the night photos another day.  But for now - there are these:


These are my travel foods... Sweet Tarts - so good

Close up of some of the rock

 Sunset





Map My Drive


No comments:

Post a Comment